Get Counseling Services

The University Counseling Service (UCS) is an on-campus resource to support your mental health.

There are a variety of services to meet the myriad student needs at Howard University.

At UCS, we direct students to services depending upon their needs, available times, and the best standard of care. In-house services include one-on-one sessions with a counselor, group therapy sessions, and medication management. In some cases, UCS may refer students to off-campus services.

As a first step, you will meet with a staff member for an intake. This brief, informal meeting is used to discuss your needs so we can determine the most appropriate services for you. Please plan to spend approximately 90 minutes to complete the intake process at UCS. This will include completing forms, wait time, and the intake itself.

Clinical Psychology Training Program

Counseling Services

Individual Counseling

Individual counseling provides you with the opportunity to work one-on-one with a counselor. Our counselors, in-house and external, provide a safe and nonjudgmental environment for you to address the issues that are most important to you.

If you are seen here at HUCS (contingent upon capacity), sessions will be brief, a maximum of six (6) sessions per year. These services may range from individual short-term, group, self-guided interventions, psychiatric care, medication management and other interventions as required. 

Consistent attendance is emphasized and required. Cancellations require at least a 24-hour advanced notice. An absence without notice between you and your counselor/therapist will result in termination of services.

Group Counseling

The University Counseling Service (UCS) offers a full range of group experiences:

  • Counseling groups

  • Psychotherapy groups

Most of the UCS staff members have advanced certification in group treatment and/or extensive group training. UCS has a history of providing groups as a primary treatment modality for Howard students. We offer both time-limited and long-term psychotherapy groups. We also offer time-limited counseling groups addressing general concerns as well as time-limited counseling groups organized around central themes.

Group counseling helps you to improve your relationships, learn about yourself and others and reduce loneliness. UCS offers several different topics of groups that focus on emotional well-being.  

Members and facilitators are bound by confidentiality.

Evaluation and Medication Management

Psychiatric evaluation and ongoing management of psychiatric medication is available to all enrolled students and is provided by a licensed psychiatric physician.

Privacy and Confidentiality

Federal regulations allow UCS to use or disclose protected health information (PHI) from your record in order to provide treatment, obtain payment for services or other professional activities called “health care operations” (e.g., consultations and quality improvement activities).

Your signature gives us permission to use or disclose PHI for these activities. This consent is voluntary, and you may refuse to sign it. However, we are permitted to refuse to provide health care services if this consent is not granted or later revoked.

All information you provide during the intake and any future contacts are done voluntarily. What you choose to share will be kept in strict confidence. External referrals will be made with written authorization. Exceptions to this rule may apply in cases where there is imminent danger to you or others, the consistent threat of imminent harm to self or others and past or present child or adult (elderly person/vulnerable adult) abuse.

This facility provides clinical training for graduate students in the mental health profession. Therapy/counseling sessions, therefore, may be audiotaped and consultation with a senior licensed clinical staff member will be a part of the training process to ensure that you receive the highest quality of care.  The provisions of confidentially are binding whether you are seen by a staff member, external resource or trainees.  

Your signature below indicates your understanding of the above information and informed consent for Howard University or external providers made by the Howard University Counseling Service. 

If you have further questions about privacy and confidentiality, do not hesitate to raise them with your intake interviewer.

Referring Others to UCS

It is an important and sometimes difficult task. Suggested guides to approach someone whom you feel needs help:

  • Every year many students, faculty and staff call or come to the University Counseling Service expressing concern for a student, whether that person is a friend, relative or roommate.

  • We recommend that you approach the student you are concerned about in a gentle, caring and non-judgmental manner and specifically state why you are concerned.

  • Then suggest that he/she seek out a professional assessment at the Counseling Service.

  • Most often, the student will feel relieved that there is help available and will agree to make an appointment.

  • If you want to offer extra support, you can have the student call UCS from your office or room, and/or you may offer to accompany the student to the UCS to her/his first appointment.

  • If the person you are concerned about refuses to get help immediately (and it is not an emergency situation), try to be friendly and remain open to the possibility that he/she may want your help in the future.

  • Some students may feel ambivalent about seeking help from any source, including the University Counseling Service.

  • A direct response to such ambivalence can sometimes be helpful: "If your problem can not be resolved at the University Counseling Service, they can direct you to the appropriate place."

  • If you decide to be more explicit about your concern, feel free to contact the University Counseling Service (202 806-6870) to discuss different options of how to handle the crisis. A clinician will help you to assess the situation and assist your friend:

    • Proposing possible interventions

    • Find the best way to make a referral, if necessary

    • Explore resources on and off campus

    • Clarification of what is going on and how you can be more effective

Feel free to consult with us about any concern you may have to: (202) 806-6870

Emotional Support Animals

UCS staff does not provide assessments regarding the need for emotional support animals.

The Office of Student Services provides accommodations for students with disabilities. It does not make accommodations for emotional support animals.

Call or Email to Schedule an Appointment

University Counseling Service

202-806-6870 - 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM ET