Find Off-Campus Housing

The Howard experience extends beyond campus.

College is full of "firsts," including students getting their first apartments. Living off campus is a great opportunity to prepare for life after college. Exercise your independence in your own living space and still get support from the university.

Students who live off campus can email the Office of ResLife for resources to look for off-campus housing, tips on things to look for when choosing a location, and how to be a respectful and responsible member of the community that you choose. Please click here for information on off campus options. 

Virtual Housing Fair Summer 2024 - Wednesday, June 5th and Wednesday, July 10th!

Need housing? The registration link will be posted closer to the fair dates.  With the click of a button you can find out more about local apartment communities near campus and enter to win their door prizes!

Fairs will be held in June and July of 2024!


Previous Off -Campus Housing Fairs:

Wednesday, June 7th, 2023 - 12:00PM-1:00PM

Wednesday, July 11th, 2023 - 12:00-1:00PM

Summer Camps

Renter Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm interested in a property. How do I apply?

You must independently contact or visit the property to apply. The Office of Residence Life cannot apply on your behalf.

The application process may include filling out a lease application, providing a security deposit and/or application fee, and undergoing a credit check to be approved for the apartment. In some instances, a co-signer may be required.

Let the leasing staff know that you are a Howard University student, faculty member, or staff to see if any discounts apply.

Do I have to sign up for a 12-month lease?

Leases normally occur in 12-, 9-, 6-, and sometimes 3-month intervals. Some properties allow month-to- month leases. However, a 12-month lease is the norm.

Shorter leases, to include the month-to-month option, normally come with a higher monthly payment. Be sure to make it clear to your leasing office the kind of lease you prefer.

If I want to rent a room in a private property, are the requirements the same?

Private owners govern their own properties. However, there will still be a lease application, security deposits, and possibly an application fee. A credit check will normally be conducted.

In the District of Columbia, private owners are required to have a Basic Business License (BBL) to rent to you. This license ensures that the property meets minimum safety and occupational standards to rent.

When looking at private homes in the District, please be sure that the property owner has the BBL. You may check on whether your owner has a BBL at Click on Online services, then business license, and then verify business license by entering address.

If a BBL does not exist, seek another property that has a BBL. Should your property owner need information on the BBL, direct him/her to the D.C. Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs’ website to apply.

How do I pay for off-campus housing?

Payment methods vary.

Students use scholarships, grants, private funding, and loans to pay for their housing accommodations.

You can check with your funder or the Office of Financial Aid to determine if you can use your funding to pay for your off campus housing.

After I select my off-campus home, do I need to report my address to the University?

Yes! It is recommended that you update your current address in your BisonWeb account.

For safety and quality of life purposes, it is encouraged that you update your address in the BisonWeb system.

Failure to do so may result in a “hold” being placed on your account resulting in your inability to register for classes.

I am now in my new apartment/room. What is my responsibility to the community?

It is expected that you will be a respectful resident and citizen.

While you have the right to enjoy your living experience, you do not have the right to infringe on the rights of those in the community who want to live peacefully.

The District of Columbia has enacted the Disorderly Conduct Amendment Act of 2010; therefore, loud noises and partying must be kept to a minimum. Unreasonably loud noises may NOT occur between 10:00pm and 7:00am. If you find yourself in violation of this act, you may be subject to complaints, eviction, arrest, subject to a misdemeanor and upon conviction, fined, imprisoned or both.

Complaints from the community may be registered with this office and may result in penalties from the University. Proven repetitive noise complaints will result in conduct disciplinary actions and even expulsion from the University.

Living in the "DMV"

Our home is in the middle of one of the most powerful hubs of influence in government, health, technology, economies, the arts, and more.

Whether you stay in DC, Maryland, or Virginia, you're never far from extraordinary culture and convenience.

Explore the Washington, DC, area.