FAQ and Housing Meeting Recaps

Please excuse us. This page is under construction for the 2024-2025 housing season!

Living in the residence halls

What makes a student eligible to live in a University Residence Hall on or off campus?

To be eligible for on campus housing a student must meet the following conditions:

  • Pay your non refundable $50 application fee

  • Complete the housing application

  • Sign your Residence License agreement and agree to the rules and regulations of the residence halls. 

  • Be a full time registered student with at least 12 credits

  • Maintain an approved academic and conduct status throughout the year. 

Am I guaranteed my room preference and my roommate request?

All housing preferences are not guaranteed including roommate, room type, or building requests. All housing asisgnments are assigned through the randomized allocation process in Starrez (housing application software) which takes preferences, application completion time, and availability into consideration. 

Can I cancel housing after I confirm my assignment?

No. All students are allowed 1 week to confirm their housing assignment after receiving the official notification. Once this step is complete, students must undergo a sublicense process and locate a new student without housing to take over the responsibility of their license.  This process must be approved through the Office of Residence Life and is not complete until the new student picks up their key and moves in. Any student that leaves housing without sublicensing will be responsible for their full school year charges. 

Students may only relinquish housing due to withdraw, deferral, suspension, graduation, study abroad, or active military status. These cancellation requests must be processed through the cancellation form located at https://forms.office.com/r/an3JC1Byit


Students will remain responsible for all charges if they decide to move out of the hall for any other reason. Students may try to locate another student without housing to transfer to their residence hall unit to. If you find an alternate, please email hureslife@howard.edu with them cc'd to begin the process. 

Can I remain in my housing if I graduate or become academically suspended?

No. All residents of the residence halls must be full registered students. Those that are academically suspended, withdraw, or graduate will have 24 hours to move out of the residence hall.

Can I apply to summer housing if I have an internship or sign up for summer school?

Summer School l housing is reserved only for Howard University students taking summer classes at the University. These students may apply through the Office of residence life via this form https://forms.office.com/r/fTPdPijBu5 .  

Students taking internships or campus & conferences must apply through Campus Apartments at this link: Please Complete this application link here for official confirmation https://www.liveathoward.com/college-hall/college-hall-summer-housing-program 

Am I allowed to stay in the residence hall during breaks?

All students are required to move out for Winter and Summer break. The residence halls are closed to all students during the winter break and all students, including those in summer school housing or internship housing, There will be a week time period in between the end of the Spring Semester and the start of the summer move in session. Students must find alternative plans for this time period. 

Applying for housing

What is the housing application fee and is it refundable?

The housing application fee is $50 for all students and is non-refundable. 

When will I receive my room assignment?

If you completed the housing application and paid the housing fee/deposit by the deadline, please continue to monitor your Bison email for your official room assignment. Assignments will be sent out by early July.

These timeline change year to year and the estimates are announced when the housing application is open. 

How will I know my roommate?

You may request roommates through the Housing Application under the “Roommate Groups” section. Under this section, you will have the ability to search and invite friends to join a group of potential roommates. For processing roommate requests, we encourage students to submit their applications within the same timeframe to avoid delays. The room assignment email will state your roommate's name and email address. This will allow you to build a bond and plan for your arrival to your home away from home.

Am I guaranteed my roommate preference?

Roommate preferences are not guaranteed. 

Can I change my roommate?

The Office will announce if there is a roommate preference swap available after room assignments are sent out. There is typically 1 week to sign up, preferences for roommate switches are the only preference switches accepted, and then there is 1 week for the office to process and confirm or deny the request. 

Will I receive my housing preference?

While preferences are not guaranteed, Residence Life does its absolute best to match students with their preferences. Preferences include residence hall location, room type and roommate. These are awarded based on availability and time of submission. If your listed preferences are no longer available, you will be assigned to the next availability. 

Residence License Agreement

What is the Residence License Agreement?

The Residence License Agreement (RLA) is the main document that confirms the student's responsibility for their housing assignment. This document is signed during the housing application process and goes into affect once the student confirms their housing assignment and/or moves in. 

Residence Hall Programming and ResFest

What is ResFest?

ResFest is an annual campus wide competition between all of the residence halls. 

Escalating Concerns

What is the difference between ResLife, Campus Apartments, and Housing Concerns?


Move in and Move Out

What are the move in dates for Fall 2024 and Spring 2025?


Housing Charges

Housing Charges

Housing Charges

Resident Assistant and Graduate Assistant Program

Resident Assistant and Graduate Assistant Program

Resident Assistant and Graduate Assistant Program